Wednesday, October 10, 2012

BLOG 11


Topic:
For my research project the topic I am researching is the effects on relationships due to texting verses face to face discussions, and also show the changes in writing/grammar due to texting.

Questions relating to my topic:

Have you ever had any issues with texting?
Has someone taking something you said in the wrong context?
What do you like better about texting/ or talking to someone  face to face?
Were any of your relationships affected by a text someone took the wrong way?
Have you noticed a difference in your grammar from texting? i.e abbreviations. etc.

In order to answer these questions I need to:

Find a connection between the positive and negative aspects of texting

Find some problems that have arrived due to texting someone rather then having a conversation face to face, where emotions can be seen rather then assumed.

Find instances of grammatical errors in email/professional areas that have been affected from "text" talk, as in abbreviations or language differences.

What I hope to discover:

By conducting two interviews I hope to gather the information I need to support my research question, I hope to gather data that is accurate and that portrays real life instances that we see everyday with texting and the effects it has not only on relationships but also on a professional level. Not being able to formulate well put together sentences instead of using short words or abbreviations can be an issue.  

I plan to conduct interviews for my study plus gather information from online sources:

http://faculty.washington.edu/thurlow/research/papers/Thurlow&Brown(2003).htm

 http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/253/1/Tagg09PhD.pdf


Wondering if this is a good idea?
* I was thinking of interviewing someone in my age range who is a huge "texter" and another interview with with someone from the older generation who is not much into texting, and would rather call or speak to someone face to face, and see what the differences are with each person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment