Wednesday, September 5, 2012

9/5/2012

BLOG 1

The type of research that I feel people do in English and writing studies seems to cover the analysis of language and the types of ways people interpret different words, and their meanings.   We as humans seem to interpret some words and sentences in many different ways, even if they have only one meaning, We also seem to have a great miscommunication with our own words, especially with how freely we throw particular language and even vulgarity out there, whether it be on the computer or through a cell phone, I feel that there are really no real emotions being seen anymore with so much communication being done through text messages.

I am not quite sure what types of research I am interested in yet, but I am trying to throw around ideas in my head, now that I brought up the texting/ communication problems, especially in my life, all I do is text my friends and family I very rarely call anyone anymore, and now that I am looking at that from the outside, I think that may a problem in my life. Words may get misconstrued and emotions do not come across as well in text as they do possibly over the phone or face to face. This may be something I would like to research further, the idea of emotions through texting/internet compared to over the phone where you are able to hear that persons emotions or even better face to face.

5 comments:

  1. I think that your idea with texting and miscommunication is great! I feel like this happens to me all of the time when texting my friends. Sometimes I mean things to be sarcastic or playful, but my friend take it seriously. People read words with the emotions that they personally feel the text is saying. The sender however, may have had a different intention or feeling to be sent across. It would be easier if the people were talking over the phone because you can add inflections that give off different emotions. It would be even better if they were communicating in person because facial expressions also show people's emotions as well. Someone might say something that sounds like their happy, but their face says something else. I think that this could be a great essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you talked about texting and how it effects human communication. I feel the same way as you do, words tend to get misconstrued and emotions tend to not come out as they would if you actually spoke them. I strongly feel like body language is the best way to gauge emotions of others, and when texting there is no body language, hence maybe having to explain something you said in more detail so the person on the receiving end doesnt take it the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,
    I think that your topic is great! This is a common issue that we deal with in society today, so there is so much research that you can do with this. People do misinterpret a lot from texting and emailing. You may mean something in a positive way and they may take it negatively, etc. Talking in person or on the phone you may be get your point across without any confusion, but many people rely on texting and emailing for their important conversations. Our readings on oral language may be able to help with your research as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried to not get too caught up in the whole "texting craze". I really believe that if done too often, to the point where it always takes the place of actually speaking, it can definitely cause problems. Texting is great but only sometimes.

    ReplyDelete