Monday, September 17, 2012

BLOG 4
I decided to analyze my interview on 9/11, the following is my blog from the 9/11 interview.


I began my interview with Valerie by introducing myself to her, and giving her a short background on my memories of Sept. 11th. I began by asking her how old she was, and what grade she was in when this day occurred. I found out the location of her school to the city, and proceeded to ask her how her school handled the situation. She advised me that the staff told the students what had happened,but no one was completely sure of all the details at that time, and certainly did not think it was terrorist related at first. Her school brought the classes to an assembly to explain more closely what was going on as details were coming in, also most of all the students were picked up early from school that day, either by parents or close relatives. I asked her if any one close to her family was involved, thankfully she said no one was, only that her father was working in the city at the time, and had to find a way out of the city, because all the trains, buses, and subways were suspended. I realize there was an age difference between Valerie and I, so I asked her if in high school how much mention of 9/11 was discussed and how much was published in the history books in her school, she said that it was definitely in their textbooks, and teachers would discuss the event but no go into anything too deeply. ( This statement would be categorized as an observation of the slight age difference between us.)
  The interview went very well, and we proceeded to discuss each of our feeling on 9/11 and also the security measures that we see today, and how we do feel there should be maybe stricter measures taken to prevent further devastation from occurring. ( I would label this as an evaluation, I am giving some feedback on how the interview went).
 

The pattern that I noticed in my interview was a lot of interpretation, telling what happened, such as telling exactly what happened, I think sometimes I may give too many details. There were points when I felt an emotion, especially realizing that we were both fortunate enough to have no one close to us involved in the tragedy. I would label that as the observation part of the interview.

 ___________________________________________________________________________

 9/18/12
After the class discussion on Tuesday,  I was able to grasp the concept of coding and categorizing emotions with a much stronger understanding. I feel now I can see the different emotions in mine and my classmates interviews, I am now able to classify them better. I do still need to work on the hypothesis portion of analysis, but I am in a stronger place then I was in the beginning of this lesson.  

No comments:

Post a Comment